Director, Office of Pastoral Planning
Deacon Frank Berning
Director, Office of Ministry Formation/Administrator for the Council
Albany City Deanery
Albany Suburban Deanery
N. Albany/ N. Rensselaer Deanery
Columbia County Deanery
John W. McDonough
Mary Ann Louison
Greene County Deanery
Herkimer County Deanery
Saratoga County Deanery
Schenectady County Deanery
Southern Rensselaer Deanery
The Decree on the Bishops’ Pastoral Office in the Church (Christus Dominus) approved by Vatican Council II encourages the establishment of diocesan pastoral councils.
- The Pastoral Council of the Diocese of Albany was established in 1971 in accordance with Canon Law.
What is the Diocesan Pastoral Council?
The Diocesan Pastoral Council [DPC] is an advisory group that collaborates with the Bishop to offer support and to help clarify a vision for the diocese. It fulfills its mission through prayer, study, reflection and dialogue. Convening five times a year, the council is a channel of communication between the deaneries and the Bishop.
Who serves on the Diocesan Pastoral Council?
The Diocesan Pastoral Council is composed of laity, religious and clergy.
Current membership includes:
- The Bishop of Albany
Deanery Representatives: One lay representative selected in consultation with the local leadership and appointed by the Bishop, from each deanery of the diocese. However, where a deanery includes two counties, there is generally a representative from each county.
Ex-officio Members: Chancellor for Pastoral Services; Director of Pastoral Planning; and the Administrator for the Diocesan Pastoral Council.
Appointed Membership: Parish Life Director Representative, Deacon Representative, Young Adult Representative, and Representatives from the diocesan Youth Ministry Team.
What does the Diocesan Pastoral Council Do?
A key responsibility of the Diocesan Pastoral Council membership is to provide and maintain a communication link between the Bishop, diocesan departments, and individual parish pastoral councils.
In addition, members of the Diocesan Pastoral Council:
- collaborate with the Bishop so that pastoral activity can more effectively meet the needs of the people.
- work with the dean and the local deanery to better serve the local faith community.
- serve as one of the key co-sponsors of the Autumn Diocesan Gathering (formerly called the Parish Convening).
- represent the DPC on diocesan committees as requested by the Bishop.
- foster and promote their own spiritual growth and that of their constituents.