In 1903, St. Adalbert’s parish was organized to serve the spiritual needs of the Poles in the fast-growing Mt. Pleasant area as well as the older Weaver Street neighborhood of the Fifth Ward. Built as a reminder of Our Lady of Czestochowa, the spiritual and cultural focal point of Poland, St. Adalbert’s Church has had nine pastors, all of Polish descent. Within just seven months, three frame structures were built: a church, a school and a rectory. In 1909, the church was destroyed by fire, but through the efforts of the congregation, which had grown from two hundred families to five hundred, an imposing brick church (1,600 seats) was erected two years later. Within a year of the new church, construction began on a new school, which was completed in 1914.